College life is definitely one of the most memorable parts of anybody’s life. Not only you get to discover the independent part of you but also earn the most crucial degree which acts like a stepping stone for your career. Along with all the fun and enjoyment the truth is that you still have to sit for your exams and come out with flying colours. College is unlike school wherein, you attend your classes regularly, sit for regular exams, complete your homework and take your exams. In case of college most of the students happen to relay on last minute preparations rather than studying through put the year. This trend leads to more stressful and may pile up loads of preparation for the last minute.
If you are sitting for your first ever college examinations then the following tips will come handy
• Be regular with studies-First and foremost mantra for getting good marks in college exams without stress is to regularly attend classes and do not leave everything for the last minute. Even if you do not study every day at home, attending classes and compiling notes it is a great help to prepare yourself for the big day
• Go through past year papers-College exams normally follow a trend and a set pattern and most of the time ,the questions which appear every single years are quite similar to last few years questions, therefore it’s a good idea to go through last year papers and sample papers.
• Connect with seniors-sitting for the college exam for the very first time can indeed be a very daunting experience therefore in order to combat your anxiety, its worthwhile to connect with seniors and teachers which would be able to provide you with some important tips regarding the exams.
• Clarify doubts with professors-if you are struggling with a particular subject or a concept then do not hesitate to get in touch with your professors or seek external help to clarify your doubts. Many time co studying and peers can also help you understand a particular subject in which you are struggling
• Skim through the syllabus-one of the biggest mistakes which most college students do is ,to burn the midnight oil lamp instead try and startyourpreparation in advance and one the day before your exam make it a practise to simple revise and skin through the main topics rather than start a new one
• Do not cram-Students often like to take the easy way of cramminghowever this might prove to be fatal as the college exams questions can often be tricky and not straight forward which requires making use of applications and formulas rather than simply jotting down straight from the book. Another disadvantage of cramming is that it can easy be forgotten which does not last for ever ,therefore it is wise to spend some time in understanding the concept and applying the principles later to get to the solutions
• Stay healthy-This is one of the most important key to succeed in any exam. A healthy diet and a healthy lifestyle are very important in order for the brain to function properly. Manystudents especially those who start their preparation late often ignore healthy eating habits and therefore get tired soon, some may also develop health complication which might detoriate their performance on the day of the exam. Make sureto eat healthy and take proper rest. It is also advisable to take a break from the regular schedule.
• Find a nice place to study-if you are staying in a hostel or university halls ,then finding a quiet place can be tricky ,especially when ,if your roommates do not have exams scheduled on the same date as yours. In such a case, try and look for some place such as a library or a common hall or even your terrace. If you cannot find any then spend most of the time in college and study at night when everybody is asleep, though this might not be the best of the advice, but something is better than nothing
• Frequent group study helps-it has been found that studying in groups or co studying has got loads of benefits. This not only helps you find your own level in comparison to the peers but also helps to resolves confusions and problems in which you have been struggling for a long time. The best part about co studying is that you can share study material therefore have access to the most of the study material, thus it would strengthen your knowledge
• Take sensible decision-If you are attempting a MCQs and are not sure of the answer then make sure to take sensible decision by seeing which option is the closest to the answer. Also remember to read the direction properly. Do not attempt in unnecessary guess work if there are negative marking for a wrong answer. It’s wise to skip a tricky question and return back to it if time permits rather than waste time in a particular question.
• Keep the motivation high-last but not the least ,always try to remain motivated even if your preparation is not top notch, as no wonder you might end up getting those questions which you have prepared. Therefore do not stress too much and make sure to stay positive at all time
The above points would definitely help you remain calm and come out with flying colours during your college exams. It is important to remain focused and follow the planned strategy as college exams are a different experience than school exams and may come with loads of stress and pressure as the results play a very vital role in formulating ones career.