Now days just grabbing a degree will not fetch you a great job, in order to strengthen the chances of getting a stable as well as a lucrative job it is very important to boost it with a post graduate degree or a diploma preferably a MBA. Many people do not realise the important of a management degree till the point they actually take a plunge in the corporate sector as the core strength remain in getting work done at the best possible deal and lowest cost. This requires people management by keeping a track of both time and expenses. Making the most out of what is available is taught in management institutes which very well come to practise in the corporate world.
Growing demand for MBA has brought about an incoming of many institutes which offer several such courses. Some are conventional colleges whereas some are internationally renounced institution which have tie ups with known brands and corporate giants. With such a wide choice available to the younger generation, it may pose to be a problem as it becomes very difficult to choose an institute which would suffice what is needed to launch a great career.
Following are few of the points which must be kept in mind while choosing your ideal management institute.
• Your requirement- First and foremost you need to focus on what you are looking for. There are many institutes which might be excellent in few fields but may be mediocre in others, therefore envisage how the institute would benefit you in fulfilling your subject matter.
• Faculty- The key remains on the teaching, therefore the faculty plays a vital role in determining the success of their students. There is no harm in doing a bit of research on the faculty, their experience and their achievement. A great mentor helps in carving an image of their students.
• Practical exposure- Management studies are more inclined towards practical experience rather than theoretical knowledge. It is mostly execution of what has been learned during your bachelor degree program. Make sure to find out ample information about industry visit, field trips, corporate visits which help in broadening the horizon of the student.
• Confidence building activities- make sure to find out whether the college implements more modern and commercial ways of teaching which help in boosting the confidence of the students. It is very important to have great communication skills and a positive body language in order to have a successful career. Therefore all this can be built through delivering presentations, taking part in debates and group discussion which is a part of the teaching methodologies.
• Internship- Internship and industrial trainings are a very important part of any management institute. Generally a post graduate program is of a duration of 2 years which is generally divided into 4 semesters, therefore it is advisable to undergo a practical experience which is also known as an internship during the tenure of course study in every semester.
• College legacy- Few colleges are bestowed with an image which has been prevailing for a long time. Generally due to its legacy these colleges are more difficult to get through and require a rigorous preparation to crack an entrance exam. However getting through these colleges is just work half done as it is very important to keep up with the reputation of the college at the same time.
• Alumni- Before choosing a management institute you wish to seek admission into, it is wise to check out the alumni page to see if there are any influential people who have actually graduated from the same institution; this not only helps in getting a proud feeling but can also help you with networking in the coming future.
• Reputation- Reputation is one of the most important aspects of any college. Some institutes are well reputed with their facilities; however some command a great reputation with academics and company placements. Make sure to value and rank what are your priorities and what would you like to focus on. Based on them make sure to segregate which institute suits you best.
• Placement- One of the most difficult parts of college life can be your first placement. Getting your first job can prove to be very difficult of you do not have the correct guidance. Therefore a placement cell in every management institutions plays a vital role in deciding your future. If you are able to get a great offer, then your future is secure. A placement cell will not only help guide you in preparing for interviews and group discussion but will also invite influential companies who would gradually pick up students right from the campus.
• Fees and scholarship- Some management institutes which have international collaboration can actually prove to be very expensive as they have a choice of international exposure. Frankly, if you are looking for an institute which has an edge then it’s wise to find out about a scholarship arrangement.
• Extracurricular activities- Apart from just academics, there are many other fields such as sports, dance, art and craft, singing and dancing which need to be developed simultaneously. If you have an interest in any of them and would like to pursue them side by side then there is no harm in inquiring it with the management institute of your choice. Many management institutes also provide extra marks and a reservation for students who excel in these fields.
Keeping in mind the above few points would definitely be able to help you select the ideal management institute which would prove to be beneficial in securing you a lucrative and a rewarding career. Also make sure to get in touch with your peers and find out what exactly they feel about your choice and how their choice is better than yours. It’s always wise to conduct an ongoing comparison. If in any case your choice of college happens to fall behind in some parameters then try to bridge them with additional short term courses and training which would help you add stars to your resume.