NCC stands for the National Cadets Corps which is the Indian military cadet corps. It is headquartered in New Delhi and very frequently invites students from schools and colleges in order to develop them for Indian security in the future. The Corps select them on a voluntary basis and provides extensive training and knowledge in all fields. It helps the youth of India to develop and prepare themselves in all three forces that is the Indian Army, Indian Navy and Indian Airforce.
Students often join the National Cadets Corps during their graduation from all over India where they are given basic education to high level military training, which helps them in finding out whether they are suitable to pursue nations’security as their career in the future. It’s up to the corps to decide whether they would be interested in continuing this further, they are under no obligation to continue if they do not wish to, however of the student wishes to continue and join the forces in a later point in time, then they would be given preference over others.
Colleges and schools which offer NCC training are equipped with large grounds which are suitable for this type of training. The sports department of the institution is quite active and is well versed with the requirements which should be used for training the students. The cadets are invited to participate in various activities both of state level as well as national level.
Along with various sports and fitness activities, there are several other aspects such as academics and spirit for nation that are also taught. Many moral values such as selfless service, honestly and hard work & its importance is touched upon, which helps in making a person not only physically strong but also mentally stable.
Though NCC is focused on all three forces however it still emphasis more on Military training and is established as a second line of defence. Following are few of the aspects which are covered in NCC program
• Introduction to the history of the NCC, its motto, its service and administration.
• Detailed introduction of what exactly NCC and its duties.
• Regular Drill and exercises.
• Rifle, SLR, LMG, Stan Gun, 2” Mortar, Grenade, Pistol training with first hand exposure of weapon training.
• Directional training along with geographical location training. NCC cadets are also taught to understand and read the maps so that they are able to locate themselves when need arises.
• Field crafts and use of techniques and tactics is an essential part of training which acts as a guild map in case of cadets want to pursue armed forces as a career option.
• Basic medical knowledge which consist of anatomy and Physiology of human body. First aim and medial endurance is also taught during the training. This not only comes handy at all times but is a big plus in case of need.
• Basic wellbeing which consist of hygiene and sanitation ,which helps in sustaining in inhabitable places .
• Civil defence and self-defence is taught together in order to safeguard the society in case of need arises along with securing ones safety as well.
• Ayurveda and yogasan which helps to keep the body perfect specially when appropriate medication is not available.
• History of India and history of defence system in India so as to build in pride for the nation.
• Knowledge about citizenship and LOC.
Without a doubt there is a lot to learn while in the NCC camp as state above, however you would be surprised to know other than the knowledge and experience gained there is a lot of other advantages which come with the NCC especially during graduation. Following are some of the advantages of joining NCC
ADVANTAGES OF JOINING NCC
• NCC is a highly reputed body which is also a second line of defence. In India, many youngsters are trained in line with defence in case the need arises. If young students want to make it their career option, then being a NCC cadet holds a lot of weight. As they are directly associated with the ministry of defence. Not only they get to learn many valuable things but also are entitled to receive Rs 700.
• Other than just military training the cadets also learn several other valuable things such as selflessness, honesty, discipline, hard work and ways to build confidence and gain leadership qualities.
• Since NCC camps are held all over India therefore there is training in a various parts of the country, hence students get an opportunity of visit new places and learn the art of independence. They are required to use their social skills and their senses to get to know new places and adapt to the varying environment. Other than just social skills they also get to learn about the history and art of the new place.
• NCC cadets learn to take pride in themselves and the training also strengthens the spirit of being an Indian. This helps them gear towards joining the forces and providing their 100% when the country is in need of them.
• Other than military activities, the cadets are taught other skills such as parachuting, paragliding and basic aviation courses because of which they have an edge over others when appearing for the armed forces. Other than that, they also have a special quota which is very useful in case of final selection to join the armed forces.
• Under the regime of exchange programme, there are a few selected students who get an opportunity to visit other countries and learn various things which are practised in other nations and exchange experiences with cadets who happen to come to India from foreign lands.
• There are a total of 32 seats which are set aside for cadets who hold NCC certificate provided they have scored 50% in graduation with at least a B grade in C level examination. If all this suffices, then they are eligible for SSC without even qualifying for a CDS written exam. All they have to do is clear the SSB interview*.
• Other than SSB they also get a preference over other in the CRF and BSF
• Other than just armed forces there are several central and state Government organisations who give special preference to NCC cadets.
In addition to all aforementioned benefits, NCC experience is one different from all others!
*Eligibility conditions can be revised by the concerned authorities.