Agriculture forms a large chunk of the economy, not only in India but all around the world. Agriculture is becoming very tech-focussed and has given birth to several career opportunities. There are a variety of career options which a student can opt from ranging from PR, marketing, agriculture scientist, teacher, researcher etc. Following are some of the most popular career options you can look at in the field of agriculture
- Agricultural Communications- Agriculture is not only about working in the farms and ploughing land, it is much more than that. In order to produce a great harvest a lot of communication is involved which helps in managing different departments in order to get a great yield. There are various positions in the field of agriculture communication which is very much in demand. For example that of a market new reported, advertising and marketing department, sales and public relationship manager, farm news reporter etc.
- Agricultural Economics-Agriculture involves a great deal of economics as agricultural produce is not only used for the nation but is also exported and imported. India is a very huge exporter of agricultural produce and require loads of micro and macroeconomics to regulate and control the prices of the produce which is directly related to external and internal sources and the world market. Therefore there is a great demand for the post of grain brokers, economist, consultants, insurance agents, banking and food distributors.
- Agricultural Education-Agriculture is a very important for our survival as it provides us with food to eat, without which existence is not possible. Therefore to make sure that every country has sufficient member and teacher to teach young students who can get enrolled in agriculture and take it as a career option is very vital. Therefore agriculture offers loads of positions in the field of teaching and research. Some of the most common positions in the field of agricultural education is soil conservationist, fertilizers and pesticides expert, farm management, researchers and lecturers.
- Agricultural Engineering-Now days youngsters are very keen on doing Engineering, there are several branches and fields of engineering however unfortunately very few are opting for agricultural engineering which has very bright prospects in the future. Agricultural engineering consists of engineering of agricultural machinery, water lines, and waste management systems. Some of the most popular vacancies in the field of agricultural engineering is bio scientist engineer, bio processing engineer, irrigation engineer etc.
- Agronomy/Soil-In order to get a good harvest it is very important to sow the seeds in the most fertile land keeping in mind the attributes of the crop. Therefore there require in depth analysis of the soil and how to maintain its quality. Crop specialist and soil scientist main job is to look after the quality of the soil. Other than that fertilizers sale representatives and farm supply representatives also play a very important role.
- Food Sciences- All of us are aware of the fact that most of the produce needs to be refined in order to be consumed. The main function of a food scientist is to make the raw produce into consumable and make it available for the consumer to buy it from the supermarket. This involves a great deal of processes such as quality assurance which is taken care of by quality analyst, food chemist, food microbiologist, reach and development team etc.