Gone are those days, when getting a lucrative job was a cake walk. All you needed was a degree and there were widespread jobs in front of you. Today due to extreme competition, employers are looking to hire people who are experienced and are ready to take a challenge. Nobody likes to hire somebody who needs to be spoon-fed and trained for a lengthy period of time. Therefore it is expected that when a fresher joins his first job, he is already well aware of the norms and ethics of the corporate sector and is trained enough to start delivering from the very first day of his joining.
This may sound very competitive but is indeed true. The big question is where to get this exposure even before your first job, and the answer to this question is very straight forward and that is internship and trainings, which a student is expected to undergo during the tenure of their course. Many undergraduate and post graduate courses have an essential 2-6 months training or internship as a part of the curriculum where a student is supposed to work in a formal setup in order to get some industrial exposure. Even if this isn’t compulsory, we’d advice everybody to opt for an internship while studying.
Following are many advantages of undertaking an internship:
- Get a taste of the corporate world even before actually starting the journey, because stepping into the corporate sector can be very daunting. Life at college and life at work is polls apart. Little do we know about the culture and ethics of the workplace while having a happening college life? Hence, an internship is a great time to learn about body language, dressing style and also how to communicate.
- Rediscover yourself, your negatives as well as strengths. You might be the topper of your college but things are quite different when you actually step into a formal workplace. You will then get to know your true strengths and weaknesses. It is during your internship when your mistakes would not cost you as much and you can work on yourself.
- This is an opportunity to socialise and network. In today’s world when there is widespread competition, it is very important to showcase yourself. Therefore internship is the best time to showcase your strengths by socialising with people of stature and building links which would come handy while you apply for a full time job.
- Build a stepping stone to a flourishing career. If you work hard and prove it to the organisation that you have the required skills during your internship then you can definitely reserve a position for yourself in the organisation. On the other hand, a particular role might seem to be quite interesting, but when you actually get on to do it you might realise that its not your cup of tea. Hence internship can show you the real picture which will help you make a right decision.
- Make some money! There are several companies who are willing to pay a stipend during the course of internship to keep the motivation of the trainees high. So it’s a great way to motivate yourself along with some serious learning.