Gone are those days when women only wanted to become teachers, or preferred operational jobs in banks and other institutions. Now times have changed and more and more women are heading towards technology and research. This is quite evident by seeing the increasing number of female students who are getting enrolled in engineering colleges and securing high ranks. There are many reasons for women becoming more open minded and taking the step forward.
• New and more advanced engineering colleges- The government has made an initiative to open more and more engineering colleges, which has given an opportunity for the female candidates to apply for admission in and opt for subjects which lead to jobs in sectors such as research and technology.There are several colleges which also have a special reservation for the female candidate. There are also many private colleges which are affiliated to esteem universities both Indian and abroad. Getting an industrial exposure during the course tenure provides students get an insight about the corporate world which increases their focus and increases their confidence.
• Initiative towards breaking the glass ceiling- There was a time when there was a clear existence of glass ceiling which did not let the female employees take the higher positions in the organisation. This ultimately caused demotivation towards the female employees, however things have changed and today women are walking shoulder to shoulder with the male employees and are also now taking care of higher level positions. In fact in many organisations, it has been seen that females are heading the departments and have proved to be excellent managers.
• Laws and acts to safeguard the female employee- It is no more a taboo for a women to work late hours in fact the government as well as private organisations are making provisions for the female employees to feel safe at work and have also laid out several acts and laws which protect them from being exploited. There are labour unions in every organisation which adopt a very flexible approach and safeguard the rights of women.
• Upbringing of the girl child- A huge credit goes to the parents and the society which includes schools and colleges as well, who are bringing out the best in girl child with equal responsibility and are nurturing them to become confidentadults. Today the girl child is not made to feel as if she is a burden but is given equal rights and it has been proved year after year that the girls are performing better in the higher secondary exams.
• Subject matter- With changing times more and more girls are opting for science related subjects in their 10+2 and are heading to join engineering colleges where they are being provided with excellent guidance and motivation by professors and lecturers.Which in turn help then pave their way towards jobs which lead to research and technology? Regularpresentations and class lecturers are helping them open up their mind and attain more confidence in them which has led to this change.
What are some other reasons why Women are taking over the professional world by storm?