College is that time in a person’s life, which is a right combination of hard work as well as fun. However many students become too relaxed and do not take studies and curriculum seriously as they did during their school time. However it’s the duty of the students to realise that these lectures are as important as the classes which they used to have in school.
College is that time when students can easily get distracted and not focus on studies. Little do they realise that this carefree nature can cost them a lot during their final exams. Therefore it is advisable to balance their social life and academics wisely.
College curriculum is vast and is very important when it comes to career choices and if not taken seriously can pile up and can become a major problem if proper attention is not paid during the academic year. Following are few of the ways by which a student can ease the pressure and formulate a proper technique to come out with flying colours:
- Attend Your Lectures Regularly- Attending lectures regularly goes without saying. It might sound very old fashioned and boring but the fact is that college professors are very knowledgeable and you can extract the most of their knowledge by attending their lectures and classes regularly. Hence, bunking classes should be avoided completely because even one missed lecture can be very costly. You will lose track of what was being taught in class and eventually become very uninterested in the subject altogether, which will affect your final score!
- Complete Assignments On Timely Basis– If you get assignments, just like you used to get homework during your school time, then regard yourself lucky. Take those assignments seriously and make sure that your lecturers mark them because these assignments will make you revise what you studied in class, hence helping you master the concept.
- Minor & Major Assessments– There are regular assessments which take place in college, these assessments may or may not be counted towards your final exam score but will definitely provide you an idea about your weak points and will also help you prepare for your final exam. These are your testing grounds, take them seriously.
- Pay A Visit To The Library– Hanging out with friends, watching movies, shopping etc. is a very vital part of college life but make sure to take some time out and visit the library. It is wise to borrow important reference books ahead of time and take photocopy of important questions & concepts beforehand as during final exams, you might be too preoccupied.
- Socialise With Seniors– It’s a great way to enjoy college life by befriending seniors, not only do they know all the hang outs but they also have all the experience about the exam pattern. If you share a good reputation with your seniors then you can also ask for the notes which they referred during their times. They can also guide you in the final year while finding placements.
- Refer To Past Year Papers– The easiest way to gain confidence is to refer to past year exam papers, as this way you can derive some pattern of questions year after year. By refereeing to the past year exam papers you can manage your time and devote more time to topics from where the actual questions come from.
- Take Midterm Exams Seriously– As mentioned earlier, it is wise to take your midterm exams seriously. This will not only help you prepare for half of the course but will also pin point areas of improvement. It acts as a reality check and provides you time to brush on topics which need more help.
- Clarify Doubts With Your Lecturers– Once you get marked on your assessments and mid term exams, it’s wise to get back to your mistakes and clarify concepts which you got wrong and simultaneously practise those concepts which require attention.
- Prepare Notes– College curriculum can be vast unlike your school curriculum where only a single text book will suffice. In case of college exams you would have to refer to multiple notes & reference books and prepare notes which are relevant to your curriculum. Therefore preparing notes it not only reduces your efforts but also provides everything at one place for your exams.
- Keep Photocopies And Important References Handy For Last Minute Preparations-Like mentioned above, make sure to pile up and file all the photocopies and hand held notes in one file so that they are handy when required and can be easily referred to.
- Group Studies Help- The best part about college exams is that you get ample time for preparations alongside. Therefore you can make use of group studies. If you happen to reside in a hostel with all your other classmate then it is even better to invest time in group studies, this not only increases your confidence but also you get to learn a lot from your peers’ mistake. It saves a lot of time and keeps you at pace with your class mates.
- Understand The Pattern Of The Exam- Make sure to follow all the updates which are provided by the administration. Make sure that there is no change in the curriculum and also take note of the marking scheme. It is wise to keep track of all the reference material double check your exam dates and date sheet.
- Build Confidence For Practical Exams– If there are practical exams, then it is vital to be very confident about the practical examinations. Remember to clear all important concepts with the teacher and also make sure that you have all the desired apparatus and stationary which would be required to perform the practical.
Preparation for college exams may be a little different from preparation for school exams, therefore it is wise to start your preparation well on time and do not leave any scope for last minute preparation as it can lead to stress and silly mistakes.