The best ever holidays are the ones which are right after the exam. One can now relax and spend some quality time doing what they always wanted. I am sure most of us wish to hang around with friends, watch movies, relax, however one must realise that these holidays are the best time to build on many important skills which would come handy in life especially when you kick start your job search.
Following are some of the skills which you can acquire during your holiday before the result is out
- Communication skills-When we talk about communication we refer to both writing as well as verbal communication. It has been seen that the youth of today are great at spoken English but when it comes to writing, they often commit spelling mistakes and punctuation errors. Now a days, written communication such as writing emails, drafting formal letters etc, plays a very important role, therefore it is vital to practise on developing good communication skills. There are several online courses available free of cost, which can help you improve your grammar and writing skills.
- Extra-curricular activities-With an advancement in technology more and more people are seen glued on to their computers or tablets, but little do they realise that stating an extracurricular activity on their resume can make a huge impact. If you have an interest such as singing, dancing, art and craft etc. or a hobby these holidays can be the right time to nurture it.
- Foreign language-Ever since India has got liberalised, there is a greater interaction with the rest of the world. India has great ties with European countries and it’s always a plus to known one of the foreign languages. There are many institutes which offer foreign language courses. There is no harm in trying to get a grasp of one of these languages in your spare time. Even basic knowledge of any of the foreign language is a big plus.
- IT courses-There are a number of IT courses available which can not only help you build a career in IT but also help you in number of ways. There are a lot of refresher courses which help you kick start your career, it’s very vital to know basics of computers as, it’s impossible to operate without emails, typing etc.
- Interpersonal skills-As mentioned in the first point communication skills help a great deal in building your career, apart from that interpersonal skills, such as body language, etiquettes etc. also goes hand in hand with communication skills. Apart from knowing your job, it is very important to known how to dress up, how to greet people and how to socialise with people in different situation. There are many personality building classes and courses which you can join. It would not only help you gain confidence but are also very interesting.
- Apart from all of the above there are several other things which you can try your hands on such as joining an NGO, volunteering, maintaining cleanliness ,educating the less affluent class people which may not prove to be monetarily effective but definitely is very rewarding.