In the present scenario, the adaptability and problem solving is an important skill, since it helps the graduates to enhance their employment prospects. It defines the attitude of an individual to amend as per the needs and requirement of the work arena. Adaptive skills help an individual to transform to the required dimensions quickly based on the situational demands. It further enhances and strengthens communication, critical thinking, problem-solving, innovation skills etc. Every corporate employer looks for such skills to proactively scale towards higher productivity.
To be adaptable and to change is never an easy task. It’s a natural skill that can be developed and practiced. One needs to develop an attitude to learn, think positive, acknowledge, accept changes and develop self-propelling competencies. This would result in commitment, enhancement and professional growth.
The following are a few tips to help and develop adaptability skills.
- Observe and monitor changes: The change is not visible until it is noticed. Adaptability needs a conscious effort to monitor the trends, values, attitudes etc. with respect to time. Compare present observations with past ones and find out what has changed.
- Willing to learn: Observation alone is not enough rather one needs to learn something new. One must learn something new on own with the help of appropriate resources.
- Avoid postponing: Never limit to learning, rather be action-oriented. Adaptability is more effective when the action is taken.
- Acknowledge the changes: You should know it is people who matter, not you. If the changes/ideas are not acknowledged accept them and try newer approaches.
Problem-solving skills are a significant requirement for a career at any level of work or employment. Problem-solving is identified as a separate skill that assists in relationship building and decision making. It is often referred to as the ability to handle complex challenges or unexpected situations in the workplace. Normally the persons who possess such skills are solution providers. This skill assists to determine the source of a problem and its effective solution.
Problem-solving skills can be improved by: –
- Good domain knowledge.
- Look for opportunities and techniques of problem-solving.
- Simulate the problem for the development of potential solutions.
- Observe the skilled problem solvers.
The following are a few tips to improve and develop problem-solving skills.
- Active listening: Active listening skills and a creative questioning approach helps to gather information about the problems or issues that are faced during an analysis of a solution.
- Critical thinking: It actively helps to analyse, interpret, interfere and leads to a problem-solving approach and form a judgement.
- Innovative thinking: Innovation is a key skill related to problem-solving. It is necessary to identify the reasons, analyse in team meetings, and take advice from experienced colleagues to problem-solving.
- Good communication: Good communication is the biggest solution for the possible solution of the problem. Clear communication will reduce confusion and help in finding a solution faster and easier.
- Positive attitude: It frees the mind for good decisions and is much productive. It tends to be more concerned about working towards a common goal.
- Analytics: Analysing the situation is the preliminary phase to problem-solving and assists to develop effective solutions. Analytics may help to compare the difference between effective and ineffective solutions.
- Decision Making: Decision making is an important step to solve problems that arise and at times depends on how quickly a decision is taken. Decision making skill is based on experience and capabilities.