Learn about the eligibility criteria, subjects, jobs, salary, top recruiters and future scope of B.Sc. Medical Laboratory Sciences.
What is B.Sc. Medical Laboratory Science?
Bachelor of Science in Medical Laboratory Science, abbreviated as B.Sc. MLS, is a three year (six semesters) undergraduate program that offers practical and theoretical knowledge about the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of various kinds of diseases with the help of clinical laboratory tests. This paramedical program allows students to perform various diagnosis on body fluids, which include haematology, immunologic, bacteriology, chemical and microscopic. The course also imparts knowledge of the collection, testing, documentation, and reporting of samples. Some of the major subjects taught in this program are Clinical Endocrinology & Toxicology, Diagnostic Molecular Biology, Advanced Diagnostic Techniques, Microbiology and Diagnostic Cytology etc.
Key Concepts taught in B.Sc. Medical Laboratory Science
Some of the major topics or concepts that you will be studying while pursuing a MLS degree from one of the Top B.Sc. Medical Laboratory Science Colleges in India are:
- Human Anatomy
- Human Physiology
- Health Education & Health Communication
- Bio-Medical Waste Management
- Clinical Haematology
- Immunology & Serology
- Histopathology & Histotechniques
- Immunohematology & Blood Banking
- Clinical Endocrinology &Toxicology
- Clinical Enzymology & Automation
- Advanced Diagnostic Techniques
- Parasitology & Virology
- Diagnostic Molecular Biology
- Diagnostic Cytology
- Lab Management & Medical Ethics
Why study B.Sc. Medical Laboratory Science?
- It is a perfect course for those who want to make a career in the field of healthcare.
- Medical Science is one of the most in-demand fields.
- Medical lab scientists/technicians play a crucial role in the functioning of any medical activity.
- The course equips students with the skill-set required to handle advanced laboratory equipment.
B.Sc. Medical Laboratory Science: Eligibility Criteria
Students who wish to pursue B.Sc. MLS must fulfil the following eligibility criteria:
- A candidate should have qualified their 10+2 or equivalent in the area of Science with Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Biology as mandatory subjects.
- The candidate should have passed their 12th with a minimum aggregate of 50% from the recognized board.
*The minimum marks required in 12th may vary from college to college.
B.Sc. Medical Laboratory Science: Scope
Employment in the Medical Laboratory Science field is projected to grow 13 percent from 2016-2026. An increase in the ageing population is leading to a greater need to diagnose medical conditions through laboratory procedures.
B.Sc. Medical Laboratory Science: Job Roles
Primary job roles that MLS graduates can take up after pursuing a degree from one of the best B.Sc. Medical Laboratory Science colleges in North India are:
- Pathology Technician
- MRI technicians
- Optical Laboratory Technician
- X-ray Technicians
- Dental Machine Technician
- Radiology Technician
- Laboratory Technician
- Laboratory Manager
- Medical Officer
- Research Associate
- Medical Record Technician
- Resident Medical Officer
- Laboratory Testing Manager
*One can also opt for higher education in the field.
B.Sc. Medical Laboratory Science: Top Recruiters
Some of the leading hospitals and laboratories recruiting medical lab scientists are:
- Forensic Science Laboratory
- Columbia Asia Referral Hospital
- BLK Super Speciality Hospital
- Lilavati Hospital
- Manipal Hospital
B.Sc. Medical Laboratory Science: Salary
Some of the popular job positions offered to successful MLS graduates and their average annual salary is listed below:
AVERAGE ANNUAL SALARY
Medical Record Technician
INR 4.3 Lakhs
INR 5.12 Lakhs
INR 2.5 Lakhs
INR 2.07 Lakhs
B.Sc. Medical Laboratory Science: Admission Process
- Admission to B.Sc. MLS is on the basis of a merit/cut off list given by colleges and universities.
- Few private colleges and institutes offer direct admission on the basis of class 12th marks.
Join B.Sc. Medical Laboratory Science at CGC Jhanjeri – One of the Top and Best B.Sc. Medical Laboratory Science Colleges in Punjab and Chandigarh
Key Highlights of CGC Jhanjeri’s MLS program are:
- Learn diagnosis, treatment & prevention of diseases through clinical laboratory tests.
- Experience integrated teaching across therapeutic themes or disease state.
- Gain hands-on laboratory skills by experiential learning.
- Gain real-time experience through internships in reputed laboratories & hospitals, and visits to state & central laboratories.
So, make the right decision and join a college that offers the research-intensive B.Sc. Medical Laboratory Science program!